Top 10 ways to enjoy a cleaner home
1. Add a germicidal light to your HVAC system. Easy to install, these UV-emitting lights help purify your home’s air by reducing growth of mold, bacteria and viruses before they are spread throughout your home. Healthy Climate® UV Germicidal Lights offer the highest UV light intensity on the market.
2. Take off your shoes when you walk in your front door. A selection of house slippers nearby helps encourage your family to take their shoes off. Most of the dirt in our homes is dust and soil tracked in by family members.
3. Replace kitchen sponges once a week. The moist environment of a sponge is a breeding ground for bacteria – more than 100,000 bacteria per square inch. Sponges can also be soaked in bleach 15 minutes to help kill bacteria.
4. Control mold by removing the excess moisture it needs to grow. Adding a whole-home dehumidifier will reduce the opportunity for allergy-triggering mold and mildew to grow.
5. Wash bedding regularly in hot water. This helps kill dust mites, which trigger allergies. Cover mattresses and pillows with allergy-proof cases.
6. Use microfiber cloths to dust without chemicals. Once used, they can be tossed in the washer to clean for reuse. Dust high to low surfaces first, and then vacuum last.
7. Add a multipurpose air-purification system. Choose an indoor air quality system that attacks small particles such as dust and dirt, airborne mold spores and viruses, even odors and chemical vapors.
8. Get rid of clutter. Keeping your home clean and organized is easier when you put away the knick-knacks where dust collects.
9. Replace or clean your HVAC system’s filter once a month. You’ll not only remove airborne pollutants, but protect your system’s energy efficiency.
10. Keep windows closed at night if you have allergies. You’ll help prevent pollen from drifting into your home.