Better than ever: The new generation PureAir™ Air Purification System
DALLAS, TX — March 15, 2007 — The industry-leading PureAir™ Air Purification System from the Dave Lennox Signature® Collection is better than ever with a smaller-width cabinet, MERV 16 filter, and more affordable price. PureAir is the only single indoor air quality system to attack all three classes of contaminants: small, breathable particles; airborne mold spores, bacteria and viruses; and odors/chemical vapors.
"Our dealers have had tremendous success over the last five years helping purify the air in the homes of their customers with PureAir," said Terry Johnston, vice president, marketing, Lennox International Inc. Worldwide Heating and Cooling. "With PureAir's new lower price point, simplified maintenance, and smaller size cabinet, dealers can now provide the purest, most comfortable air possible for even more of their customers. PureAir gives our dealers a competitive advantage in the rapidly growing indoor air quality market."
Air inside the home enters the Lennox PureAir system and passes through a five-inch MERV 16 pleated filter, two 55-watt UVA lamps, and the metal insert coated with a catalyst activated by ultraviolet (UVA) light. The three-stage process reduces the absolute toxicity of the treated air stream through the removal of all three classes of contaminants, including volatile organic compounds (VOCs), creating a more comfortable environment in the home.
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) said it has found levels of about a dozen common organic pollutants to be up to five times higher inside a house than outdoors, regardless of whether the home was in an urban or rural area.
The health effects of exposure to VOCs vary depending on their toxicity. Some cause no harm while others can lead to headaches, nausea, fatigue, dizziness and irritation of the eyes, nose and throat or damage to the nervous system or organs.
"We ought to focus our efforts on reducing indoor air sources of these compounds [VOCs]," said Sungroul Kim of Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health in Baltimore, Maryland.
How PureAir works
The PureAir System reduces concentrations of pollutants through a process called photocatalytic oxidation (PCO) that combines three of nature's most powerful air purifiers:
- Ultraviolet light (UVA)
- Titanium dioxide catalyst, a nontoxic substance found in everyday household products
- Hydroxyl radicals, formed through the chemical reaction of the catalyst and water vapor in the air, destroy organic compounds
The three-stage process involves three fast, effective steps:
- The Precision Pleat(tm) MERV 16 filter provides over 95% removal of most small, breathable particulates in the air stream, including pollen, dust and pet dander, down to .3 microns and over 90% removal of bioaerosols including dustmites, viruses, bacteria, mold spores, and fungi ranging in size down to .01 micron. (Particles smaller than 2.5 microns pass through the lungs, into the bloodstream and increase the likelihood of illness.)
- As the odor- and chemical vapor-filled air stream flows over the ultraviolet lamps, preparing the air stream for the catalytic surface (titanium dioxide-coated metal filter insert).
- The light energy and water vapor in the air activate the titanium dioxide catalyst, which generates hydroxyl radicals. These hydroxyl radicals remove and destroy household odors and chemical vapors including those from cleaning supplies, paints, and cooking and pet odors by attacking the carbon components of the odors and chemical vapors and breaking them into carbon dioxide and water.
The PureAir Air Purification System is the ONLY single system that provides this level of air purification. PureAir is part of Lennox' Healthy Climate® product line, the industry's first comprehensive line of ozone-free indoor air quality products. Ozone, a form of oxygen in the earth's stratosphere helps block ultraviolet light from reaching the ground, but when produced on the ground by man-made devices, it can build up become a lung irritant. PureAir does not produce ozone and even reduces ozone levels in the air.
The PureAir Air Purification System has a five-year limited warranty on covered components.*
A subsidiary of Lennox International Inc. (NYSE: LII), Lennox Industries Inc. manufactures and distributes its residential and light commercial indoor comfort systems to over 7,000 dealers across North America. For more information, contact Karen O'Shea, vice president, communications and public relations at 972-497-5172.